You Are Reading

Context Of Practice // Manifesto


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



This is one session that was interesting and i enjoyed. First, we had to do some 'Automatic Writing'. This is something that i have never done before and at first found bizarre. Basically, Automatic Writing is writing without thinking, letting your brain and your hand just write down whatever pops into your head and to not really be thinking about it. I thought i would struggle with this but i naturally just started writing and had a consistent flow. We had to start with I hate... then go from there. The first thing that i thought of was the government and just ended up writing around 2 A4 sides about the government and why i hate them in about 5 minutes haha...

After this we then discussed the qualities of graphic designers and the personal qualities that we find important in life. This was another interesting debate to see which views i shared with my peers, and also what i didn't. From the list that we all put together as a group, i then picked out the things that i thougth was most important or related the most to me...


  1. I hate Racism 
  2. I love Honesty
  3. I love Positive Thinking
  4. I love Nice Stock, Screen Printing and Letterpress
  5. I hate Pretentious Art


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



For the next part of the task, I have to create a manifesto that declares 5 points that i will try and work to to become the designer i want to be. I will start by looking at some existing manifestos from artists, designers and companies that i find interesting...




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Stefan Sagmeister

I know Sagmeister is a little bit cliche to use as research but i'm really interested in all the 'lists' he has made throughout his career. It is one of his main focuses and for this particular brief, i feel it is a good thing.  

"Things I Have Leaned"



Source // ICONEYE

  • Complaining is silly. Either act or forget.
  • Thinking life will be better in the future is stupid, I have to live now.
  • Being not truthful works against me.
  • Helping other people helps me.
  • Organizing a charity group is surprisingly easy.
  • Everything I do always comes back to me.
  • Drugs feel great in the beginning and become a drag later on.
  • Over time I get used to everything and start taking it for granted.
  • Money does not make me happy.
  • Traveling alone is helpful for a new perspective on life.
  • Assuming is stifling.
  • Keeping a diary supports my personal development.
  • Trying to look good limits my life.
  • Worrying solves nothing.
  • Material luxuries are best enjoyed in small doeses.
  • Having guts always works out for me.

I find this list to be really interesting and related to me in many ways. I feel that i look up to somebody who has lived his life like Sagmeister. These views seem very down to earth and to the point to which makes me warm to them even more. 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Manifesto - Visual Samples"

I found these 'Visual' manifestos on a blog online. I really like these, i feel that a lot of the content in there is relevant to me as a designer, makes sense and looks like something i would work to. I also like the fact they are pieces of art themselves. Visual information is always better. 

Source //  













Personal favourites from these...

"DO NOT WORK FOR FREE UNDER THE GUISE OF GOOD EXPOSURE"

"IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME, STOP WATCHING TV"

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE, STOP. THEY WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU START DOING THINGS YOU LOVE."

"LIFE IS SHORT, LIVE YOUR DREAM AND SHARE YOUR PASSION."






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






Chris Payne 

I love this manifesto from Designer Chris Payne for two reasons. The first reason being, it is written on a toilet wall. Enough said. The second reason being, the meaning of all the points he has written down are relevant to my course and where i am as a designer at the moment. A personal favourite is number 4...

  "Doing just enough, isn't good enough"







~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The Life Manifesto

This is focussing on living your life more than being a designer, but most things relate to me here. Its good to keep fresh. Healthy body, Healthy mind. 

Source // BLOG




Personal Favourites from this...

"Stress is related to 99% of all illness"

"Friends are more important than money"




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Visualise Us Manifesto



Explore, Travel, Be Adventurous to gain inspiraiton...



Source // Visualise




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My Personal Manifesto

Using all the research, workshops and personal experiences both professionally and personally, i have put together my own manifesto...


  1. Be committed and plan your time. If you feel you don't have enough time. Stop watching TV. Stop social networking. Stop Procrastinating. 
  2. Stop worrying about everything! Worrying solves nothing! Do something. Do as much as you can but don't worry!
  3. Don't be afraid to fail! It's not embarrassing to fail, it shows your not afraid to take a risk. Have the balls to do what you want. Experiment with design and break the rules. The best designers think outside the box. Learn from your mistakes. 
  4. Keep travelling, Keep experiencing different cultures and environments. Keep getting inspired by the world around you. Leave the past behind and move forward. 
  5. Work with people. Being a designer is a social amusement park. Collaborate, Collaborate, Collaborate.  Work with as many people from as many different backgrounds as you can. Work together and bounce ideas off each other, inspire each other. 
  6. Learn something new every day and keep a diary of everything! Take a photo every day and make a visual diary!
  7. BE KIND to people and treat others how i want to be treated. Good things happen from kindness. Aim to do at least one kind deed every day. Keep the good karma on my side. 
  8. Make lists. Set goals and plans regularly from what i want to achieve! wether that is daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. 







Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.